THIS Dangerous Behavior Could Seriously Injure Your Teen.


The New York Police Department is warning people to NOT sleep with a cell phone under your pillow (and really, in your bed). They have begun the campaign by tweeting some seriously terrifying pictures of the aftermath of unventilated phones exploding and burning holes in pillows. In these cases, the batteries overheat causing a disastrous and dangerous reaction. This is endangering teenagers all over the country.

cell4 cell2 cell1 cell3


In this case, a 13-year-old girl narrowly avoided life-altering injuries when her phone blew up in her bed.

In another case, according to NBC Connecticut, a 15-year-old boy’s cellphone ignited his pillow.


“I saw the flames,” said Hamden resident Kimberly Johnson, who said the fire broke out in her 15-year-old son’s bedroom. “When I ran upstairs, his entire left side of the bed was on fire.”

Phone need ventilation. Phones should never be left in the bed, they should be in a ventilated situation, such as on a countertop beside the bed. But never in the bed where pillows and covers can prevent heat from escaping from the battery. Even though the cell phone is off, it is still running.

“The cell phone was left on the bed. These devices need areas to be ventilated,” said Hamden Fire Chief David Berardesca. “It is recommended that you leave these type of devices on a hard surface so the heat can dissipate. The batteries heat up, they could melt – in some cases, explode – and cause a fire.”

Talk to your children and make sure they understand the power of these devices. Some kids may even fall asleep with them in their bed by accident. Children, especially teens, should see these images and learn best practices when it comes to cell phones. No call or text is this important.